Mrs. Field's Sugar Cookies
* I am a big fan of these because they are not super duper sweet so they hold icing well without being overwhelming.
* I also do not refrigerate for an hour before rolling, I just put flour on the
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup colored sugar for decoration
* 3/4 cup butter (I use margarine and it works fine)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour and salt with a wire whisk. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well blended. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add the flour mixture. Blend on low speed just until combined. Do not overmix.
3. Gather dough into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or a plastic bag. Refrigerate one hour until firm.
4. On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. With cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Decorate with colored sugars or sprinkles. Bake for 13-15 minutes, being careful not to brown. Immediately transfer cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.
dough make it not sticky.
Wilton Icing Glaze
*this glaze gives a shine to the cookies and it very good. After it dries you can also use regular icing to decorate it.
* It also takes color really well and the new Neon food coloring you can buy at the grocery store has good deep color for pinks, purples, green and sky blue
* 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 3 tablespoons milk
* 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
Makes: About 1/2 cup of icing.
Stir milk into sugar. Add vanilla. Drizzle on cupcakes.
May be thickened with confectioners' sugar or thinned with milk or other flavored liquids.